Something I often wonder - and maybe even gives an interesting insight into my personality - is the answer to the question "What would you be doing if you weren't working with computers?"
Some things which appeal and which I can imagine myself doing are:
- Driving trains, not suburban tincans which I'm sure I could do but don't know if I'd really want to, but large heavy freight trains across possibly vast distances.
- Winemaking. I love wine, and, combined with my University study in chemistry, probably makes me someone who could easily slot in there.
- In the dairy industry. Again, food processing, but it is quite interesting. Anything from a process operator, to a design/tech person.
- A tradesman, maybe a plumber, electrician or data/telco tech - not quite so sure about this, but they are all things I could do, although I'm not sure I'd really want to, forever.
- A farmer, again, not so sure about it but some aspects of the job and lifestyle do have some appeal. True, some other aspects don't, too :-)